HomeGas Safety InformationServicesTestimonialsChargesAbout Our BusinessSurestop Water Switch \ Magnaclense your systemUseful InformationRecent Boiler and Domestic Appliance Faults with SolutionsContact Us


Landlords have specific legal responsibilities to their tenants when it comes to gas safety

Understanding the law for rental accommodation

If you are a landlord letting a property equipped with gas appliances you need to understand and comply with the law relating to gas safety.

If you let a property, you must make sure that pipe work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition. You need to have a gas safety check every year. A Gas Safe registered engineer must carry out the safety check in your properties in Great Britain and the Isle of Man. You must give your tenants a copy of the gas safety certificate within 28 days of it being carried out or before they move in.

You are also obliged to show your tenants how they can turn off the gas supply in the event of a gas leak.

Annual checks

As a landlord, you are legally responsible for making sure that a Gas Safe registered engineer checks the gas appliances in your rental properties every 12 months and gives you copies of the gas safety certificates.

Gas safety certificates

When your Gas Safe registered engineer has checked the gas appliances in your rental property they will give you a gas safety certificate. This certificate confirms the gas appliances have been checked and are safe.

You must give your tenant a copy of these gas safety certificates within 28 days of the checks being done, or give a copy of the gas safety certificate to a new tenant before they move in.

Remember, you must keep a record of each safety check for two years.

Top tips for gas safety

  1. Always use a Gas Safe registered engineer to install, repair and service your gas appliances, including your:
    • gas boiler
    • gas fire, gas cooker or hob
    • central heating system, radiators or your hot water system, if they are connected to either a Natural Gas or LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) supply
  2. Always ask for the card. Gas Safe registered engineers all carry a Gas Safe Register ID card. It shows you what they look like and what gas work they are qualified to do. It also gives you a unique licence number that you can use to check they are still on the register.

    Only allow an engineer to work on your gas appliances after you have checked their Gas Safe Register ID card. If you have any doubts call 0800 408 5500 and quote the unique licence number on your engineer’s ID card.

    If you suspect an engineer is not registered and working illegally, you should report it to Gas Safe Register using the 'Report an illegal engineer' service.

  3. Check that your engineer is qualified to work on your gas appliance.
    Not all engineers are qualified to carry out all types of gas work. Make sure you check the qualifications on the back of their ID card to make sure they are competent to work on your appliance.  You can also check them on this website by using the 'Check an engineer' service in the right hand panel of this page.

    If you have a complaint about work carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer, then let us know by using our complaints form.

  4. Get your appliances checked once a year, or in accordance with your manufacturer's guidelines, by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

  5. Install an audible, carbon monoxide alarm.  Fitting an alarm will alert you to the presence of the poisonous gas carbon monoxide, produced by unsafe gas appliances

  6. If you think there might be a gas leak or notice any signs of carbon monoxide, act fast and follow the advice for gas emergencies.

Call me on 07828 679589 - to carry out your gas safety checks. My Gas Safe Registration number is 305566.

This information has been taken from the gas safe register website.
Please visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk for further gas safety information.